Sunday, March 3, 2013

Thank You Sara Karloff!

Several days before Hurricane Sandy hit NJ, David and I went the "Chiller Theatre" convention in Parsippany, NJ. It was here we met the lovely Sara Karloff, daughter of Boris Karloff. As many of you know, David is an artist and loves to do sketches of characters and actors from Hollywood's Golden Age. He especially loves old monster and sci-fi movies. In particular, he loves Universal monsters. Therefore, it was not surprising that when he decided to try his hand at sketch cards, his favor subject was Boris Karloff.


David brought his Boris Karloff sketch cards to "Chiller Theatre" to show Ms. Karloff and have her sign them if she liked them. She was genuinely taken with David's rendering of her father. She inquired if he made money doing cards of her father. He responded that he knew she held the licensing of her father's image, so he mainly did them for himself. Ms. Karloff encouraged David to contact her via email. She said that perhaps they could discuss the possibility of a sketch card set. To say we left her table feeling incredibly happy would be an understatement.


Well, when Sandy hit, we were focused on coping day to day with our lack of power. After everything had somewhat settled down, David did finally email Ms. Karloff. She remembered him and after several emails asked David to be part of the artist gallery on her website. To say that David was excited at the thought of being part of an artist gallery that includes one of his idols, Basil Gogos, is putting it mildly. As of Friday, March 1, 2013, David is included in this gallery -- and I am so proud of him!


Ultimately, it was Sara Karloff who made it possible for David's work to be seen and enjoyed by her father's fans. If you would like to check the site and/or David's artist page, click the link below:
http://www.karloff.com/


FYI: David shares a birthday with both Boris and Sara Karloff -- all of them were born on November 23rd!

12 comments:

  1. Many congratulations. How thrilling!

    As a fan of art and Boris, I really enjoy these sketches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! David could not have wished for a better site to have his work shown!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story! So happy for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick! Sara Karloff is a very gracious lady and went out of her way to get David's work on the site.

      Delete
  3. Thanks honey ! I couldn't have done it without your constant support and love ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a team -- you've been there for me too!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't reply sooner Eve -- We appreciate your good wishes!

      Delete
  5. How exciting! Congratulations. These sketches are amazing and they deserve to be featured on the website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- David & I appreciate your compliments!

      Delete
  6. Gilby37 I love your blog so much. Just found it through Dori's Tales of The Easily Distracted. You and I seem like like minded gals. And I live fifteen minutes from Parsippany, which makes me so sad to know that I missed the Chiller Theater convention. Karloff is my all time favorite. I've often said that I wished he was my grandpa... So glad to have stumbled onto your site. I've done a bunch of posts on Karloff's ahead of it's time tv show Thriller. We should stay in touch... You're awesome...Cheers Joey (MonsterGirl)thelastdrivein.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for thee delay! I'm so glad you liked my article on Sara. And don't despair, in a recent email, Sara told me she plans to be at this October's Chiller!

      Delete