Sunday, July 27, 2014

It's Not a Comeback... It's a Return!

Norma Desmond I'm not. However, the words seemed to fit my situation. I've been absent from my blog since December. I've continued to follow many blogs (though I've been a lurker) and continued to vote in CMBA elections and memberships. However, I have not felt inspired enough to write. This past school year was like a bad after school special. I was also sick fairly often with a virus that just kept resurfacing. I decided that it was time to start writing again -- so here I am.



I've decided to begin blogging again because I will be covering David Suchet's  return for his last series as Hercule Poirot on PBS. The final Poirot series was already broadcast in England, but my local PBS station will begin broadcasting it tonight. While I look forward to watching these well produced and acted shows, I feel a sadness knowing that it is the last Poirot series. Suchet will have starred in dramatizations of all of Hercule Poirot's adventures. In fact, fans will have to be prepared to see their detective die in Curtain.

I've always thought it was a pity that Agatha Christie did not live to see David Suchet give life to Poirot. Prior to Suchet, I would have to say that Albert Finney best captured Hercule Poirot on screen. As a reader of Agatha Christie since a young age, I was always disappointed by the efforts to portray Poirot in film with the exception of Murder on the Orient Express. While several of the Peter Ustinov films are very good detective movies, Ustinov did not fit the description of Poirot nor capture his personality in my opinion. As Mathew Prichard, grandson of Agatha Christie, has often said, "We must laugh with Poirot, not at him." Tonight begins the four last opportunities to experience the magic Suchet created as we lovingly say good bye to the character with whom we not only laughed, but with whom we cried.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully stated honey ! Can't wait to see your articles as we travel down this " last road " with Suchet !

    ReplyDelete